2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
500g chicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut into cubes
1 large (120g) onion, chopped
2 cloves (4g) garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons (60 ml) tomato puree
1 cube of chicken bouillon dissolved in 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
3 tablespoons (30g) green olives, chopped
2 tablespoons (20g) parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons (20g) wheat flour
1 cup (240 ml) milk
3 tablespoons (60g) margarine
4 tablespoons (40g) wheat flour
2 cups (480 ml) milk
Half cup (120 ml) heavy cream
Salt and nutmeg
Half package (200g) Cream Cracker
About 350g mozzarella cheese, finely sliced
2 tablespoons (20g) Parmesan cheese, grated
Makes 8-10 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Tip: Put the mozzarella on the slices of cookies to prevent it from softening in contact with the moist filling.
Variation: Add cooked fresh peas to the chicken stew.
- Heat the oil and add the pieces of chicken, occasionally stirring until lightly browned. Add the onion and garlic and keep on cooking until lightly browned.
- Add the tomato puree and chicken bouillon dissolved. Mix.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat until the chicken is very tender. If necessary, add more hot water.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, shred with the aid of a fork.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add olives, parsley and flour dissolved in milk. Cook until the cream begins to thicken. Season with pepper sauce and salt, if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat the margarine and brown the flour, constantly stirring until it becomes a paste.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the milk, constantly stirring until the paste is totally dissolved.
- Cook over low heat, constantly stirring until reaching a thick sauce (about 5 minutes after the beginning of the boil).
- Add the heavy cream, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a medium rectangular baking dish (approximately 20x30cm) with a thin layer of white sauce. Cover the sauce with mozzarella.
- Then, make layers with Cream Cracker, Mozzarella cheese, chicken stew and so on.
- Finish with white sauce and sprinkle Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated moderate oven (180°C) for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.